Re: board cutters

I use the same kind of cutter you describe to produce about 1200 books per
year, and get what I consider a decently square cut. Here are my suggestions:

First, the longer the cutting arm, the more leverage you have

Second, try cutting on the floor, kneel over the cutter and put your shoulder
into it. With your left hand, you should be able to hold the board more still,
to prevent shifting.

Third, try to adjust the tension. If you loosen it up a bit, you'll need to
adjust your measurements, but you'll likely get a smoother cut.

Also, the cutting arm can be sharpened by a professional if necessary. This
might help.

Thanks for the chance to comment on something I know about!

Jenni Bick
The Printed Word Studio
JBick81242@xxxxxxx