Re: The Book, transfers

Dear list --

I don't wish to offend anyone, but the definition below is a *codex*,
and
even then it is somewhat limited. If the pages are parchment, palm
leaves,
or cloth, it is still a codex/book. Of course a scroll is a book. All
the
books of the Bible were originally scrolls.
 "Book" is a concept, as when brittle books are photocopied and in the
process are destroyed, the *physical* book is gone, but the intellectual
content is saved. If you transcribe  a book in heiroglyphs on a wall,
or a billboard, it's still a book: i.e. a discrete intellectual work.
If a book exists only on a diskette, or a hard drive, it's still a
book. How about binding a bunch of old floppy discs together and
writing on their surfaces?
  Can you tell I'm a librarian and a cataloguer at that? Recently, we
have begun cataloguing "virtual" books. These are texts that exist only
on the Web (unless one prints them out) I have a little problem with
this concept myself, but so far, it seems to work! (Some government
bodies,
in an effort to save printing costs, are mounting their reports on the
web)

> > The definition of what a book is is simple:
> > A book consists of a number of peice of paper sewn together, and bound
> > with a cover.

Heat Transfers:  Don't know if this would help, but there is special
paper
for jet printers and a *different* special paper for copiers that allow
you
to transfer the image to textiles. Jet printers are preferred to laser
printers for this process. I assume it would work on transferring to
paper,
but I don't know.

Susan Fatemi
susanf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx