Re: The danger of Long-S's (not for the over-sensitive)

At 12:03 PM 4/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>  All this reminds me of a related problem usually encountered at
>tourist shopping areas in signs for such things as "Ye Olde Tea Shoppe",
>etc.  Old English, Middle English, and all English in between never had
>a definite article "ye" what it had was the old Germanic runic letter
>thorn, pronounced "th", which looked something like our modern letter p
>as used in the Old English definite article "pa".   In written form the
>top of the p tended not to get closed, making it look like y.  The rest
>we know.

Fascinating, Dorothy.  I never knew that. What you say (and where you are)
reminds me that legal language was "translated" from law French or Latin
into English, sometimes with strange result.  "Know all men by these
presents," with which deeds and other similar instruments traditionally
begin, before translation read "Know all men present and future."  Someone
translated it poorly and it stuck even though it makes no sense.

  You are right, Sam.  We
>should stick to corn (soft corn of course).

What Samuel J had to say about corn was that in Scotland it is eaten by
humans; in England it is fed to cattle.  We Presbyterians ignore him.

Sam

Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)