Re: goldleaf

04.07.98

Regarding my post about goldleaf....

Apparently I misspoke about the rouge/armenian bole not being used between
the sheets of paper in gold books.

I stand corrected, with my thanks to Ms Jackson and the good folks at Sepp
Leaf.

And now to explain the confusion...chalk, or, more specifically, French
Chalk is used by bookbinders, as myself, to dust the edges of books prior
to gilding them to prevent their being stuck shut during the gilding
process.  Simply looks to meas though I got my chalk in the wrong place,
for which I apologize.

again, Sally, thanks

don       colopohon@xxxxxxxx

----------
<BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: goldleaf
> Date: Tuesday, April 07, 1998 8:48 AM
>
> 04.05.98
>
> I add the following from my experience with gold leaf, for the record.
>
> 1.  Patent gold leaf is in no way inferior to sheet leaf, the difference
> being that the gold is actually attached to a thin sheet of paper in
order
> to allow its use by sign painters and sign gilders and others who must
work
> outdoors.  Sheet gold is absolutely intractible in even the slighest
draft,
> as anyone who has worked with that material will attest.  So, patent gold
> is a variety of gold leaf, not a poor cousin to the <<real thing>>.
>
> 2.  Sheet gold is kept from attaching itself to the interleaving of the
> books in which its is sold not by a dusting of armenian bole, which is
the
> color of rust, which is what it is, iron oxide, also known as burnt
sienna
> or russett, when it is sold as a pigment, but by chaulk, or talc.
>
> 3.  The talk is used, the chaulk is used because it is white and more
> easily picked up after, should the bane of any gilder occur, spilling
some
> of the dust onto the work in hand.   Can you image doing the same with a
> pile of rust dropped onto a folio of uterine vellum--pure white unborn
calf
> skin.  Yep!!!!
>
> 4. Gold leaf is also sold by color, as, Lemon Gold, Pale Gold, Extra
Pale,