Re: Creating 'the Last Book' to Hold All the Others

That would have been me who sent that in... Sick sense of humor? Sometimes,
oh, alright most of the time. Why did I send it ? Uh, good question. Mostly
to provoke some kind of heady debate I guess. We also had this discussion,
the future (per)mutations of the book in my art history class this week,
you know the same one I asked everyone to define the "artist's book" for.

I think these things will be developed, even into products, but at the same
time think that the obsolete materials and structures we use now will be
around much longer... A lot of this reminds me of the debate in archival  /
library circles regarding the longevity of cd-roms and other media. What's
going to decay first the hardware or the files/programs.... Doesn't matter,
both will eventually. The book, ON PAPER, will be around a lot longer. Even
a dime novel on newsprint has a longer shelf-life than cd or disk, (Doesn't
take into consideration migrating the data...).

I don't think we'll become quaint anachronisms that quickly, at least not
any worse than we already are. And as Pat Baldwin wrote yesterday, let's
not quit our day jobs...

Fire away.

Peter

>>     In schoen gebunden Buechern blaettert man gern.     <<

Peter D. Verheyen    <wk> 315.443.9937      <fax> 315.443.9510
<Email>                               mailto:pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<Webmaster>              http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
<Listowner>    Mailto:Book_Arts-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx