Re: Cyrano de Bergerac Centenial

Evening Sam,
Interesting question. There was a European competition I ordered the book
for and now an Italian which I thought about and Don Rash did order. I
never finished my binding for the European comp, and I don't know if Don
has finished his, but I've always thought it would be fun to do a show of
books we tried to complete for other specific shows and then actually see
if we finished them for that. Is there anything wrong with ordering with no
intent of submitting. Yes and no. When I organized the GBW Paper Bound show
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/gallery/paperbound/> I was peeved
when people who ordered the book didn't submit, especially if they never
responded to my card. On the other hand, I can understand. It was a great
textblock. My guess, go for it if you're really into the text. Try to get
it done for the deadline and if you're really happy with it, submit.

Peter

At 08:14 PM 4/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Booky friends--
>
>Got a mailing today (as I'm sure most or all of you did) regarding the
>centenial celebration of Rostand's CYRANO DE BERGERAC. It includes a
>contest for fine binding of a special copy of the play.  If you could see
>the Lanham probosci you would understand why Cyrano is a Lanham favorite
>and a mailing like this would get my attention.
>
>I'm not at a craft level to enter such a contest seriously (though they do
>have an amateur class), but it might be worth it to me to enter just to get
>a copy of the book.  The cost is about $78 (470 FF). I don't know anything
>about the sponsors of this event (The Vth Biennial of World Art
>Bookbinding)or whether there is anything wrong with entering just to get
>the book and without any serious intention of submitting a binding.
>
>Any info or thoughts will be appreciated.
>
>Sam Lanham
>Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)
>

>>     In schoen gebunden Buechern blaettert man gern.     <<

Peter D. Verheyen    <wk> 315.443.9937      <fax> 315.443.9510
<Email>                               mailto:pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<Webmaster>              http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
<Listowner>    Mailto:Book_Arts-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx