[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
BOOK EXPLORATIONS '98
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: BOOK EXPLORATIONS '98
- From: Daria <dherlihy@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:56:27 -0500
- Message-id: <199804211328.GAA14924@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.edu>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: On the web at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
BOOK EXPLORATIONS '98
It is my pleasure to announce to friends on the BOOK_Arts-LIST that
all the unique, expertly made artist's book entries sent here for
The New Art Forum's BOOK EXPLORATIONS '98 exhibit have been judged and the
following have received merit awards from the judges:
* The Highest Award for Excellence and Creativity to Sam Garriott-Antonacci of
Seattle, Washington for his miniature accordion book with beautiful matching
container, "My Favorite Season"; and also sharing the Highest Award for
Excellence and Creativity for the multi-page accordion book, "as in queen (the
abecedarium of a typophiliac)" entered by Leda M. Black, Providence, Rhode
Island. The judges felt that both entries were equally deserving !
Each artist will receive a $100 check from The New Art Forum.
* To Marilyn Hatch at the Wellesley College Library, Massachusetts, the
for Excellence in Structure for her interpretation of spiral design in "Dream
Labyrinth" in which the unfolding spiral page is faced with a road map.
* The Award for Excellence in Creative Humor to Linda K. Johnson of Pompano
Beach, Florida for ON THE LINE, made of a container with directions for hanging
the printed cloth pages on an enclosed line with little wooden pins - which
delighted the viewers.
* Also receiving the Award for Excellence in Creative Humor, Angela Lorentz
of Italy and Manchester, Massachusetts, for her colorful and unique necktie
shaped book and container, "Binding Ties". Again, the judges found both books
equally deserving !
* Emily Martin, Iowa City, Iowa, received the Award for Excellence in Design
for her novel staircase-in-a-book entitled My Twelve Steps in which the text was
displayed on each staircase step.
* To JoAnne B. Berke of Trinidad, California, the Award for Excellence in
Storyline / Content for her hard cover book with revolving circular
images based on the structure of an antique children's book of the 1800's. The
book was creatively made, with her help, by 12 members of the Book Arts class
at Pelican Bay State Prison, entitled TRANSFORMATION. (A truly inspiring text
* The Award for Excellence in New Media to Leah R. Oates of Chicago, Illinois,
for "Objective / Subjective", a spiral bound structure with text-printed
translucent vellum pockets containing black and white removable images.
* Mary Stewart of Syracuse University, New York state, received the Award
for Excellence in 3-D Movables for her large hard cover artwork which opens to
to reveal a stand-up compartmental structure covered with colorful Greek
lettering and stencilled human form running "In Pursuit of Knowledge".
* Thankyou to all who entered . Each entry was exquisitely made, soundly
packaged and enthusiastically received by The New Art Forum, the viewers and
the judges, Anne Anninger, Jim Reid-Cunningham and Mary McCarthy.
* All who read this are cordially invited to prepare entries for:
BOOK EXPLORATIONS '99
(More about this in the near future !! The deadline will be March 21, l999.)
* For those who live near Kingston, Massachusetts, the show will be open
1 - 5pm each day and 6-9pm on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday through
April 26, l998.
* Thank you all for your dedication, generosity and goodwill
in supporting the book arts and presenting the grist for
new ideas, enjoyment and contemplation to the public.
The New Art Forum