Re: metal techniques.... and printing on demand

At 05:13 PM 4/21/98 -0400, Jeanne Drewes wrote:
>the price for the book that Ed Hutchins recommended is still
>$14.95 + $3 shipping.  That's "Metal Techniques for books"
>by Laine Kaneshige. I just spoke with Liane and she is
>getting calls about the book so I thought I would save
>people some of the long distance calls by relaying that the
>book is in stock and the price is as Ed quoted.

I would recommend the book also.  It is full of ideas and samples, yes
actual samples of what you can do with metal in binding, along with a
goodie bag to materials to get you started!

At 05:38 PM 4/21/98 -0400, Nicholas Yeager wrote:
>Ed Hutchins' mention of Kaneshige's book is useful and I've just spoken to
>her. It's still available at the price quoted. She is publishing On-Demand
>and will be making some up this weekend. She describes many techniques that
>I didn't talk about - making spiral bindings with metal, and rivetting. She
>provides samples too, so it sounds like a deal.

A deal yes!  And to make something like this "on-demand" (in light of the
recent discussion) I would consider fairly ambitious.  Especially given the
price.  Not that it is a long text or bound in a complicated manner.  Just
all the samples she includes would take some time to make and paste in.
Unless she no longer includes them.  I hope this isn't the case, they are
informative and wonderful to look at.

If you are interested in adding metal to your bindings and just getting
started down this path, then this book should be helpful to you.

Eric

         Eric Alstrom           Athens, Ohio          alstrom@xxxxxxxxx
By all means leave the road when you wish.  That is precisely the use
of a road:  to reach individually chosen points of departure.  By all
means break the rules,  and break them beautifully,  deliberately and
well. That is one of the ends for which they exist.
                     R. Bringhurst: The Elements of Typographic Style