Re: "Perfect" replacements for "perfect" bindings.

At 07:10 AM 4/24/98 -0400, you wrote:
>> The process is young in binding terms, 8-10 years,
>
>Actually it's been around for longer. Polly Lada-Mocarski showed me a
>"flex-binding" (that's the old term for "double-fan") press in 1975, and the
>apprentices made thousands of books that way at Center for Book Arts. We
>didn't have the fancy press, so we took a headbanding press (like a small
>lying press) and put it up on a couple of bricks to get the required
>distance from the spine to the flex point.
>
>            Richard
>            http://www.minsky.com
>
>This is the method I devised to use in my home studio, unable to afford or
house a professional fanning machine.  Books much wider than 1 1/4" are too
cumbersome to handle for my small hands, but the method does work.

I'm sure there are used double-fanning machines floating around.  Keep your
eyes open.

I would like to hear about the mull that stretches width-wise the Duncan
Campbell mentioned.  What is it called?  Where can I get some?

Betty Storz
storz@xxxxxxx