Re: "Perfect" replacements for "perfect" bindings.

>As I said there have been many variations on the mechanics but
>>over all each machine will notch the spine, fan the book, apply the glue
>>and attach backlining.
>
>Duncan,
>
>Thanks for the details. Can you tell me what you mean by 'notch the spine'?
>I can think of several alternatives (straight across, diagonally, deeply,
>open v's, knife cuts...) but knowing me, probably not the right one.
>
>Jane
>______________________
>
>skazki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>______________________

Our machine makes a series of side by side notches, like this \_/  \_/
\_/, about 1/16" (1.5mm) deep and wide from top to bottom.  I've seen the
results of two other machines.  One makes straight cuts perpendicular to
the spine about 1/16" (1.5mm) to 1/8" (3mm) deep and only 1/32" (+/- 1mm)
deep.  These are spaced about 1/4" (6mm) from each other and run from top
to bottom.  The other makes triangular notches nearly 3/4" (1.8cm) deep and
are about 1/8" (3mm) at there widest point (the spine).  These also run
from top to bottom but are spaced further apart, about 1" (2.5cm).

There was some mention that notching wouldn't do much for the binding.  In
general I agree, in fact the hand process described involved no notching
what so ever.  However, the notching does allow for more surface area to be
covered by the glue. I assume that this means that there would be a better
hold on the notched book.  But there are times when notching is more
harmful to the book and we go without.  Truthfully I don't notice a
difference myself but I have to go with the odds that more surface area
means more hold.

Happiness bought and paid for
is happiness none the less.

Duncan