Re: Where cloth and paper meet

>Here's a response to Dan's questions to help people answer my two questions:
>>              1. Making a join between the paper and the book cloth
>>              2. Getting the glued piece of paper the exact size and down in the
>>                                                                      exact place
>
> If you could supply some additional facts it might help:
>-Size of your portfolios
                                        They're about 12 1/2 by 9 1/2--to hold standard US paper
>-How many?
>                                       About half a dozen
>-What adhesive are you using?
                                                        PVA

Now we've got something to work on. If you had been going to do a
dozen I would have suggested making a jig, but for six that probably
isn't needed.
First things first: the paper does overlap the cloth. Not only does it
give a clean edge, it prevents the cloth edge from fraying.
Personally, I don't have a problem with evidence of the cloth under
the paper, as long as the cloth is trimmed evenly and parallel with the
spine edge of the board; but there are a couple of solutions. One is to
crush the
cloth with a ruler or straightedge in a nipping or standing press. If
the edge of the cloth still bothers you, pare it off with a sharp
knife. An alternative is to adhere strips of one-ply or manilla the
width of the cloth onto the boards. When covered with cloth, it
produces a nice step into which to set the paper.
In order to be able to place the cover paper consistently, you need to
know how much it will expand when glued out. Take a good sized piece of
board and a smaller piece of your paper. Draw a rectangle the exact size
of the paper onto the board. Glue out the paper and align it with at
least two sides of the drawn rectangle. Now you can see the amount of
expansion to allow for, and cut your paper accordingly. Even after this
you'll probably need to do a few full sized trials to fine tune the
size. When you have the size correct, cut all the pieces you think
you'll need plus some spares. Here is where a good cutter is invaluable;
your paper will be absolutely square and uniform in size.
If I'm doing just a few covers I just mark the placement of the paper
with a couple of divider pricks on each board; but if you used either of
the methods above everything is ready to go. You should glue the paper
rather than the board, and allow it to expand before laying it down.
This is where PVA proves less than ideal. A mix of PVA and paste or
methyl cellulose will give you sufficient working time without having to
rush. Another helpful technique which many use (but I just tried, thanks
to Peter V. through his former assistant Sara Provancha) is to apply the
adhesive with a paint roller rather than a brush. It gives an even coat
of adhesive in almost no time. Like they used to say in the Cap Snaffler
commercials:
"...And it really, really works!"

Don

Don Rash fine bookbinder
50 Burke St.
Plains, PA 18705
1-717-821-7050
email: DNRash@xxxxxxxx
<There are monkey boys in the facility...>