Re: Non-gold foil

Ron Koster wrote:

> Thanks, Betty!
>
> Actually, your reply was definitely helpful, although perhaps I should've
> been more specific in my question. As opposed to what *could* be used, what
> is available to be used, what I was looking for was what *was* used
> traditionally, say, in the 18th or 19th century, by hand bookbinders, what
> would be a *typical* alternative "foil" in place of gold foil -- especially
> if there was one type/colour that was used more than any other (after, of
> course, gold). Like, is there such a thing as "silver foil"? I have no idea.
>
> Sorry, Betty, I suppose I should've been more clear in that I was looking
> for an historical sort of answer, as opposed to a more practical one.
> Thanks again for your answer though, because in a 'round-about way it does
> help.
>
> Ron :)
>
> At 11:15 06/05/98 -0700, Betty Storz wrote:
> >Yes, Ron, there are other kinds and colors of foil.  Artificial gold is
> >available for use on paper, book cloth, leatherette, etc., but real gold
> >must be used on leather because the artificial will turn green on leather.
> >Talas lists black, brown, green orange red ,white and yellow foils, plus
> >glitter gold and silver in their catalog.  I've forgotten where I bought 23
> >karet gold from, but I remember it was available in several shades,
> >antique, bronze, etc.
> >
> >I use so little of the foil that it lasts for years.  Most of what I have
> >came with the used machines I inherited.  Perhaps others on the list can
> >quote sources.
> >
> >Don't be apologetic, Ron.  I joined the list because I need to know more
> >about bookbinding and I'm all alone in my neck of the woods.  I've learned
> >so much in the past few months.  I'm grateful to all of you.
> >
> >Betty
> >storz@xxxxxxx
>
>                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                        P  S  Y  M  O  N  ?  ?  ?  ?
>                        http://home.istar.ca/~psymon
>                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before Gustav Oeser invented and developt the foils as we know them
today, Bookbinders would first use goldleaf.

F.e: On the Blocking Press:

You made a blind impression with the press, applied eggwhite or shellac,
aplied goldleaf and restamped the image. Crisp and perfect results.

For silver there was a silverleaf in use.

Colours: The Blocking press would have a moveable sidetable attached on
which the die to be stamped in colour would be mounted.
The bookbinder would use a ink - similiar to printers ink, but mixed
with an stronger attitute, higher pigment content and an additional heat
agent. Form was ink, folded on to the cover withoutt touching, the whole
thing was moved into the press and stamped. That's how one would create
the color splendid bindings we know from the turn of the century.
Incidentialy, Ihave a Krause Blocker in my shop, buildt in 1892 with an
set-up for that technique. I've used it several times for perfect
facsimile bindings.

charles mohr