[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Adhesives

Lineco, Inc.  makes a PVA glue that is archival.  It has a neutral pH, is
reversible with water and dries clear.  I've used it for adhering cloth
cover paper and decorative papers to boards.  Ditto for end papers to
board.   You can buy it by the quart or gallon at art supplies store or
through archival supply catalogs like University Products or Gaylord

For adhering decorative papers to board (esp. Japanese papers that are
very absorbent and can be easily stained by white glues if not careful),
I use a neutral pH glue stick, also available from University Products.
I work in a rare book library where we use both the Lineco white glue and
glue stick (Scotch) for adhering book plates (also acid-free) to the
inside front board of books.

Hope this helps!

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998 18:26:20 -0400 Scooter Services
<scooterservices@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me...
>I'm trying to determine which adhesive is the best to use in the
>following instances:
>1.  adhering paper to davey board
>     a.  cloth cover paper to board
>     b.  decorative cover paper to board
>2.  signature papers to end papers
>3.  end papers to board
>I've been searching several FAQ's on bookbinding websites and can't
>to find a straight answer!  I'd like to use archival materials, but it
>seems as though most people use PVA (which I've read is not archival).
>Any help that you might be able to give would be greatly appreciated!

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]