Re: Adhesives

You sent, 8 Jun 11:34,

>I'm trying to determine which adhesive is the best to use in the
>following instances:
>
>1.  adhering paper to davey board
>     a.  cloth cover paper to board
>     b.  decorative cover paper to board

I am not familiar with davey board, but presume it is similar to mill board.
I use hide glue generally for sticking covers to the boards as described in
various books.   Sometime mixed with made up starch or flour paste to slow the
drying and absorption -  this gives me time to turn the edges not being an
expert!!
It is goes without saying that one may need to test the materials for stretch
in the first instance.

>2.  signature papers to end papers

These made endpapers again I usually use flour paste, watching the paper grain
and stretch.   I lightly press the made papers for some time, before they are
completely dry.

>3.  end papers to board

Similarly as for the made endpapers

>I've been searching several FAQ's on bookbinding websites and can't seem
>to find a straight answer!  I'd like to use archival materials, but it
>seems as though most people use PVA (which I've read is not archival).

I find that my PVA dries too quickly to use for large areas as above.

Rodney Fry
Crowthorne, UK
<rod.fry@xxxxxxxx >