Re: Paper grain

My own experience confirms that of Sam Lanham. A great many handmade and
(and especially) moldmade papers have a pronounced grain--perhaps nowhere
more so than in post-World War 2 production papers, but also in many papers
right back to the pre-1800 handpress period.

In a different connection, Tim Barrett once observed that handmade junk is
still junk. I'm not sure that the presence of grain in a handmade paper
reduces its utility for most of the uses to which it likely to be be
put--still, one wishes that there were a better standard literature on this
aspect of the history of the book.

-tb

At 05:45 PM 6/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>At 07:24 AM 6/13/98 -0700, Betty wrote:
>
>>Hand- or mould-made papers have little or no discernable grain because the
>>moulds are jiggled as they are are lifted, causing the fibers to lie in
>>different directions.
>>
>I've seen this statement elsewhere and it puzzles me because it does not
>comport with my experience.  I work almost entirely with handmade and
>mouldmade (=eastern "semi-handmade) papers, eastern and western.  The ones
>I use are laid papers and have a very definite grain which must be taken
>into account.  Is the quoted statement perhaps only true of wove papers?
>
>I'll be happy to be straightened out and educated on this matter.
>
>Blessings,
>
>Sam Lanham
>Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)

Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia
Book Arts Press : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903
Tel: 804/924-8851   FAX: 804/924-8824  email: belanger@xxxxxxxxxxxx