Re: Ink Jet Printers

Iries are considered the next best thing to the quality of the printed
color. They are an ink jet process, CYMK, 300dpi, continuous tone.

They can be, and I have had them, run onto a variety of materials and kinds
of paper.

They can be coated at the output bureau, or I have sprayed them with
fixative without them running (you just have to watch the angle and not get
too close).

I have used them in books...along with fieries, cactus prints, and dye
subs. Since the books get limited light exposure, they have held up quite
well. I do, however, have test prints laying out and about, and still,
after two-three years of these prints being in sunlight and the light of a
bulb, have not noticed a depreciation in quality of color so far.

The inks used for irises have become more colorfast and archival. This is
due in part to the demand of artists who have come to use them more and
more in their fine art work. Usually, when you run an iris, you can ask the
service bureau what inks they use and how they measure up over time. There
are brands of inks that are better than others (but I don't have that list
at the ready).

Of all the types of prints I have used, I think I am the most concerned
about the dye subs, since a friend of mine who is a photographer tells me
they are the least color fast (but I am not sure of that--have not
investigated myself).

They drawback of the iris is the price per print, but if the project calls
for that particular look...I just save up.

Hope that helps.

jennifer