Re: Yes Paste

Archival is a very releative term. Paste and hideglues can be the most
archival of all. They don't contain plasticizers, are easily reversible...
PVA can be archival too in that doesn't contain plasticizers (at least bad
ones) won't brown with age, can even be somewhat reversible. It will always
leave behind some kind or residue or sheen however. It really depends on
what you want to use the adhesive for. If I'm working with japanese papers
I will always use paste, ditto for leather and vellum. I may also use
hideglue on the spine, for laminating boards, making boxes stubborn vellum
turnins. You can mix them too. Paste and hideglue, pva and paste,... Paste
you can cook yourself in the microwave, on the stove... It's just
flour/starch and water. Recipies abound in just about every book.

It's confusing. It all comes down to what is appropriate. If I'm working on
normal (non-leather...) bindings I'll use paste and then a mixture of pva
and methylcellulose (50/50). This works for most things very nicely. It's
advantage over thinning down pva is that you have more time before the glue
dries... and it's a bit more forgiving. Then straight PVA for things like
lining the spine...

Hope this helps somewhat.

p.

At 10:27 PM 6/19/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Is "Yes' archival?
>
>If not, what glue is?  and where can I buy it?
>
>Where can I buy "Yes"?
>
>thanks.
>

>>    In schoen gebundenen Buechern blaettert man gern.   <<

Peter D. Verheyen
<Email>                               mailto:pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<Webmaster>              http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
<Listowner>   Mailto:Book_Arts-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx