Re: Ink fading question

Keith Howard is the director of the Canadian School for Non-Toxic
Printmaking in Grand Prairie. He pioneered several non-toxic printmaking
techniques that yield nice results. The one we use the most involves a
Dupont product called Imageon. (sp?)

Imageon (used to be called Riston) is a photo sensitive film that can be
laminated to a copper or plexiglas plate (I'm sure other surfaces too...) It
is amazingly sensitive - it was originally designed for printed circuit
boards, I think.

You can start with any image that is on a translucent surface - drawing on
mylar, scanned or computer generated image printed on transparancy, mylar or
vellum, photocopy on same, or paper photocopy that is rubbed with salad oil
then blotted well.

The plate is exposed in a light table, then developed in a mild soda ash
solution (water softener).

Ink, wipe and print as with any etching.

You can get 50-70 prints off the plate before it breaks down.  Clean up is
with salad oil.  The film can be soaked off the plate in a stronger solution
of soda ash, so the plate can be used over and over again.

Keith has lots of info on the web site:
www.mtsu.edu/~art/printmaking/non_toxic.html

Also found great printmaking links at
www.mtsu.edu/~art/printmaking/print_links.html

If you want more info, contact me off list,

Roberta
paper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx