Re: Kraft paper (was Sugar Cane paper--is it acidic?)

At 05:05 PM 7/10/98 +0000, you wrote:
>> Colette,
>>
>>         The paper that Ediciones Vigia uses in their books is mostly
>> supplied by the government.  They receive it in huge rolls that they
>> then cut up to the required size. It was described to me as being made
up of
>> industrial waste.  Recycled.  It contains a good deal of sugar cane fiber
>> that is the waste by-product which remains after making rum, etc.  It
>> reminds me most of the paper used in making paper grocery bags only with
>> more chunky bits....Although I haven't tested it, it is almost certainly
very acidic.

>> Bob

Yes, Bob, the Kraft paper we use for grocery bags, wrapping paper
corrugated boxes, etc. is highly acidic.  Not only that, it has very little
wet strength.  I can't imagine it's holding up in hot, humid climates.

Betty

Your information on the brownish Egyptian and Indian papers, and on the AIC
paper on lignin was most interesting and informative.

>The recent paper given at AIC on lignin by a gentleman from CCI (I'm
>embarassed I don't remember his name)  made out that a lot of the dangers
>of lignin have been overstated, and that if anything there is a gradual loss
>of brightness with age.
>
>Perhaps this could explain why a paper could be "brownish" and still be
>alkaline or neutral PH.
>
>Does brown mean bad?  Perhaps all is not as it seems....
>
>Perhaps we could say the same thing about "craft paper" here in the US?
>
>Some binders swear by craft paper for all sorts of uses- hollows, box
>lining, spring back bindings, etc. etc.
>
>Yes, the fibers aren't alpha cellulose, and lignin free... but is that all
bad?

>I would love to hear others share their thoughts on this.
>
>Jake Benson

See my comment on our Kraft paper above.  Yes, Jake, binders used to use
Kraft paper, and, no doubt, some still do.  When I first got into
bookbinding/repair years ago, all the manuals recommended using it.  After
I had taken apart the first few dilapidated books to restore and witnessed
the deterioration of the Kraft paper linings, I switched immediately to a
stronger material, such as acid-free bristol of a satisfactory weight,
barrier paper, strips cut from good endpaper stock, etc.  I also use strips
cut from left-over acid-free wrapping paper I use for wrappers, grain in
the correct direction, of course.

Betty Storz  storz@xxxxxxx