[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Grangerise, Common-Place Books, etc.

>Is "grangerised" synonymous with "extra-illustated"?
>At 08:04 AM 8/17/98 +0100, you wrote:
>>The term "grangerised" refers to a man, a book collector I think in the
>>1800s (?), who would collect many engravings and bind them into the normal
>>edition of a work.
>Sam Lanham (slanham@xxxxxxxx)

Further to my posting yesterday I have checked my sources and found my
references were slightly off!

It's not Middleton's book, but Burdett's "The Craft of Bookbinding" which
states that "grangerising" (we could debate as to whether or not this should
be "-zing" but that's another story)  is after James Granger an eighteenth
century author and print collector, a copy of whose "Biographical History of
England contained over 3,000 portraits - is this in the BL I wonder?

The other reference is to Hutchins "History of Dorset", 2nd edition, 1797,
held at the Dorset County Reference Library and comprises apparently 12
volumes, not 4, formed from additional prints, original drawings and
manuscripts collected by a man AM Broadley of Bradpole in 1904.  The Library
have catalogued this as  his "grangerised" version.

Rodney Fry

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]