permanent marker

I am trying to find a fine and medium marker for drawing simple figures on
stones.  The ones I tried said "permanent"  but easily wipe off or smear
badly even when left to dry thoroughly.   I don't like the look of fixative
or a protective coating.  I want it to look "natural".

The only color I use is black.  However, a metalic marker that I used as
highlight, etc. worked very well.  And it stayed on!  The stones are small,
smooth river stones, some as small as 2 inches across up to 3 inches or so.

I am hoping that someone has tried a truly permanent marker that I can
order or find in my local art store.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Claudia Stall
Head, Collection Preservation Unit
San Diego State University
Love Library

         "Be kind, do good work, and touch the earth gently."