Re: Alum Tawed Goatskin

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Bob Roberts wrote:
> I'm working on a book to be covered with alum-tawed goatskin, a beautiful
> creamy white leather. Are there any tips you could give? I'm particularly
> worried about getting it dirty or stained from pasting up.

I'm halfway out the door and off to the library - doing research on
medieval techniques for cleaning vellum (and forel). Highly recommended:
bread (rye, preferably, NO SHORTENING), and spit. Yes, spit has been
scientifically proven (not in the Middle Ages, but in a recent issue of
Studies in Conservation) to contain special skin-cleaning enzimes. As does
bread.

More anon.

Paul Werner, New York City

For Courses, Lectures and Dragonsblood: