Re: Alum Tawed Goatskin

Dorothy Africa wrote:

>   Try not to wet the skin more than you have to.  Too much water will
> flush out the alum from the skin and you'll have raw (YUCK!) hide to
> deal with.  As always, tidy habits pay off.  If your work surface and
> tools are clean, what's to get it dirty?
>   Dorothy

When I'm working with alum tawed skin I use an alumwater solution
instead of plain water. Jack could probably tell us if this is a useful
technique; I just know I'm a tad more confident using it. Also, wetting
and working the skin will tend to change the color from creamy white to
a warm, slightly ivory tone.

Don