Re: Alum Tawed Goatskin and covering in stages

        How do you recommend covering in stages using wheat paste? Do you
paste the leather completely, but adhere only the spine... or paste only
the surface the leather will be attached to?

        I've covered some books in stages: particularly full rebindings
of large family bibles that need extensive spine tooling. I can "cheat"
by adhering a spine lining (raised bands and all) directly to the pared
leather with PVA, then doing panels, decorative corners, etc. on the
spine flat, sometimes even with the kwikprint. The textblock is prepared
with a hollow, and the lining glued directly to it. Covering then
proceeds in stages: pva the rear board, draw the leather on to it and
smooth, paste the front board, draw leather on...   but the only time I
apply paste directly to the leather (rather than to the surface it will
cover) is the turn-ins.
        Regarding the turn-ins... If not careful, I've had an ugly dark
tide line at the corners after following this procedure: pva for the
boards, wheatpaste for the turn-ins. We tried duplicating that problem
with scraps of the alum-tawed goatskin, but couldn't. So far, I've only
had it show on red harmatan. Any thoughts? Does it have to do with red
dye releasing during wetting?

Bob