Classes at Two Hands Press

Announcing Fall 1998 WORKSHOPS with KITTY MARYATT at Two Hands Press, 2213=
7
Avenue San Luis, Woodland Hills, CA 91364. 818 703-0257 or e-mail TwoHands=
Pr @
aol.com. Classes are from 9:00 to 5:00 Saturday and Sunday. Cost: $175 and
includes all materials except leather. Deposit of $85 is due by October 5 =
and
is non-refundable unless class is under-enrolled.

COLORFUL EDGES AND STYLISH HEADS October 10-11
This class is for dressing up the edges of bindings. First you=92ll learn =
to sew
a book over tapes. We will then guillotine the edges to prepare for the
painting. You will paint or sprinkle the three edges of your book. You can
even paint the foredge when it=92s fanned open and watch it disappear as y=
ou
close the book. Voila! A foredge painting. We=92ll heat up some brass tool=
s and
use foils to add some shine to the edges. And you=92ll learn how to make a=
 few
simple headbands, either stuck-on or sewn, to add just the right touch to =
the
head and tail of your book. All of this is done to the text block before t=
he
covers are put on. We=92ll leave the book as simple flat backs or possibly
create a gentle round. Finally we=92ll cover the books with a simple case.=

RIGHT BY YOUR SIDE: THE STITCHED LEATHER SATCHEL  October 17-18
Can you imagine how convenient it would be to wear a book? You could alway=
jot down notes or draw when the urge comes. Learn how to make a two-piece
stitched leather satchel with a shoulder strap to carry your journal or
drawing book. The top slips up the strap to reveal your book but won=92t g=
et
lost since it is cleverly attached to the strap. You will bring any smalli=
sh
book to class and custom-fit the carrying-case. Those of you who took the =
wood
boards class last time will find this the perfect way to carry your Coptic
book. You won=92t need a paring knife or any glue. You will need a hole pu=
nch to
make all the holes. There will be an extra charge of $25 for the leather. =
This
satchel is based on a model in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.

LET ME COUNT THE WAYS  November 7-8
This class is always popular, so here it is once again! There are at least=
 100
different ways to sew signatures together to make books, including sewing =
over
tapes, over cords and using unsupported sewing structures. In this class, =
you
will sew about 50 sewing variations on index cards which will simulate sew=
ing
through the fold on signatures. In this way, you will begin to understand =
how
to bind books in many different ways and the function of each technique. Y=
ou
will also learn about oversewing and tacketing and the famous catepillar
stitch. This approach was taught to me by Betsy Eldridge at PBI (Paper and
Book Intensive) many years ago, and I think it is extremely helpful for
gaining perspective on the binding process.

THREE BLANK JOURNALS AS FABULOUS GIFTS  November 14-15
This class is perfect for beginners. We=92ll make three books over the wee=
kend:
one with a paper cover, one with cloth, and one with suede. The first book
will be sewn on wide ribbons which will be laced into a paper cover with a
reinforced spine. The second book will be sewn on bookcloth tapes which wi=
ll
be glued on to hard boards covered with bookcloth. The spine will be expos=
ed.
The third book will be sewn directly into suede leather, with no tapes and=
 no
glue. It has a very nice flexibility to it.They are all very different fro=
the journals you can find in bookstores, and are all inexpensive to make a=
nd
great to look at. Which materials to use and where to get them will be
discussed. This class is especially for those who have wanted to bind mult=
iple
signature books but don=92t know where to start. It is also for those who =
have
perhaps studied only traditional binding and want to make something a litt=
le
different. There will be an extra $10 cost for the leather.

Confirmation of enrollment and a list of tools required will be sent upon
receipt of deposit. Please feel free to telephone, FAX, or e-mail the numb=
ers
above for more information.

Two Hands Press is a book arts design studio where we do commercial work f=
or
clients. We design trade books, design, print and bind limited edition boo=
ks
both by letterpress and on the computer, fabricate custom bookbindings,
portfolios and boxes and do calligraphic lettering and logos.

If you would like to see some of my books, there are six new books in the
faculty exhibit at Scripps College in Claremont at the Ruth Chandler
Williamson Gallery. The gallery is open Wednesday-Sunday from 1:00 to 5:00=
.
I=92ll be giving a gallery talk there on October 5 at noon if you would li=
ke to
attend. The exhibit closes October 11. The gallery is at the corner of 11t=
and Columbia Streets in Claremont. And there are four Scripps College Pres=
books and some broadsides on view at Artworks in Bergamot Station in Santa
Monica until October 30. Artworks is open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Come visit me at the gallery on October 9!