The Philosophy of Bookbinding

The other day I had a teacher suggest to me that I write up a proposal to
introduce a course titled "The Philosophy & Methods of Bookbinding."  I
have to admit the notion struck a chord; but I couldn't place my finger on
it.  I can handle the methods portion.  But, after 11 years of commercial
binding I have to admit the philosophical aspect of bookbinding has
atrophied a bit.  I'm looking for some feedback from y'all.  So please; let
fly what may.

Happiness bought and paid for
is happiness none the less.

Duncan