Advice on single signature binding source

A friend has asked me to bind a copy of a book written by him on the
subject of sun dials.

The problem is, the book was produced as a single signature, stapled
booklet, despite having around 60 pages.

He has also requested that I interleave the printed pages with blank
pages, as he is 'always discovering more facts'. This will up the page
count to around 110.

I'm beginning to think the only way I can produce a binding which will
withstand use, particularly opening the book flat enough to write in
it, is to cut the pages and perfect bind them.

An alternative would be to photocopy the pages so as to produce
multiple signatures, but I'm worried about the quality and durability
of photocopies, and doubtful whether I can copy the small number of
photographs involved to an acceptable standard.

Has anyone any other suggestions?

Jane