Re: Advice on single signature binding source

Jane, was this 60-page pamphlet made by folding 15, or so, sheets of 8 1/2
x 11 paper in half horizontally to make a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 booklet? If so,
it's my guess that the grain is in the wrong direction and the pages turn
stiffly. This will still be a problem if you decide to cut the pages and
use a wire or plastic comb binding. If you are going to go through the
trouble of making a multiple signature book, which I recommend, you should
see that the grain of the paper runs parallel to the spine to avoid
problems in folding and which occur when pasting cross grain paper to the
vertically grained boards.

Copy shops normally stock only grain-long paper, so what you should do is
buy half the amount you need of 11 by 17 paper and have it cut in half
horizontally. This will provide the amount you need of 8 1/2 x 11 paper
with the grain in the proper direction, parallel to the fold, in other
words, short-grain.

I wish you luck whichever way you choose to bind your friend's book.

Betty

Betty Storz   storz@xxxxxxx