Philosophy of Bookbinding

Thank you all for the responses to my question about the philosophy of
bookbinding.  I've had some time to consider my own views and the posts
have given me something to work with.

I understand that originally bookbindings were utilitarian.  But the idea
that they contained information specifically to be keep for long term
storage and reference, I think, is what matters most.  That knowledge;
specific, relevant, necessary knowledge, needed to be codified and kept
safe form harm and degradation seems to be a wonderful revelation in
hindsight.

But I have to wonder if perhaps the sharing of knowledge was (is?) not  the
most important aspect of bookbinding.  Having the ability to give another
person a book, scroll, tomb, etc. that holds information, valuable or not,
is to me a very powerful act.

I'm just now wondering if the burning of libraries and books was, and still
is, a more symbolic gesture rather than useful or necessary.  Taking away
knowledge, stupefying the enemy, proclaiming that your books, your
knowledge is superior seems to be an equally powerful statement to make as
the sharing of knowledge; but regrettably infinitely negative and always
irreversible (in the sense that the books once turned to ash can not be
recovered.)

I feel that there is more to say on this but I am back to where I began in
that I don't have a solid grasp on what it is specifically.  So I will
again say thank you and I apologize to everyone for this slightly off
topic...uh...topic.

Happiness bought and paid for
is happiness none the less.

Duncan