Re: Eggshells

-----Original Message-----
From: Joyce Jenkins <joycej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 1998 2:38 PM
Subject: Eggshells

The book I believe Mr. Verhayen refers to is ART NOUVEAU AND ART DECO
BOOKBINDING:  FRENCH MASTERPIECES 1880 - 1940 by Alastair Duncan & Georges
De Bartha. New York Harry Abrams, 1989. A lovely book in general and many
excellent examples shown of the technique about which you inquired.

We have employed the technique here several times. The shells are more
"pushed flat" than crushed. The membrane that supports the shell remains
intact and most be done while fresh. (After being cleaned ofcourse) In this
manners usable panels of egg shell can be placed and cut. It gfives the
appearance of something very much like a mosaic. They may be tinted or dyed.
Being porous they except most pigments well. The affixed panels are then
laquered. It gives a striking, novel appearance. Things that are thinner,
Guenea fowl eggs, duck eggs work better than chicken eggs in our experience.

Regards,

Kurt Klappenbach
Loud Creek Books & Bindery
P.O. Box 405