[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Time machines
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Time machines
- From: "Jack C. Thompson" <tcl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 01:01:12 -0400
- Message-id: <199810020501.WAA19822@SUL-Server-2.stanford.edu>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Was: The Philosophy of Bookbinding.
The Chinese, many years ago, thought that reliable inter-generational
communication was best left to marks made on stone, bone, or pottery
shards; paper was only suitable for intra-generational communication.
Books, unless they are designed to self-destruct in a short time, are our
message to the future.
Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR 97217