Re: Etching Question

The most elegant way to do chin colle is to screen print freshly made wheat
starch paste on to your washi paper, hang it to dry, iron in flat, trim the
edges and lightly mist it just before placing it on your plate.  The
western style sheet should be damped as usual.  Sound ahesion should allow
multiple runs through the press

Good luck

Michael

At 04:42 PM 10/1/98 +0200, you wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_01D0_01BDED5A.75D56200
>
>This discussion has evolved from a printing one to an oxidising one.  =
>Rather than using the plates in a registered formation, I am using them =
>in a "puzzle" structure, and have specifically chosen the two different =
>types of plate (copper and zinc) for the diversity of effects which each =
>manifests by virtue of its metallurgical composition.  I cut the plates =
>with very strong acid in order that they would comply with one another, =
>like a puzzle.  But I am a little worried at the response - is oxidising =
>of colour bad for the print as a print?  What else would oxidising =
>affect?
>

>Also, thank you everyone, who responded to my queries.  I discovered, =
>that yes, it was the weather which was effecting my printing - it was =
>also drying my paper too quickly.  Also, that a large area of this =
>problem was due to the discrepancy in thickness of the two plates.  So =
>now, I am printing them separately on a register drawn onto the press =
>bed.
>
>Does anyone out there have experience with making chine colle on a =
>two-plated etching?  This is the same work, and I initially envisioned =
>sending the whole thing through the press in one final gesture, but as =
>this is not to be, I am nervous that should I use chine colle in the =
>first plate, it will be torn off by the impressing of the chine colle on =
>the second.  Are there any alternatives to chine colle - I was thinking =
>of doing a toner-based transfer of aspects of my image onto the plate =
>and then re-etching it from there..
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Robyn Sassen.
>

>------=_NextPart_000_01D0_01BDED5A.75D56200
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
>
><META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 =
>http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
><META content=3D'"MSHTML 4.72.3110.7"' name=3DGENERATOR>
></HEAD>
><BODY>
><DIV>This discussion has evolved from a printing one to an oxidising =
>one.&nbsp;=20
>Rather than using the plates in a registered formation, I am using them =
>in a=20
>&quot;puzzle&quot; structure, and have specifically chosen the two =
>different=20
>types of plate (copper and zinc) for the diversity of effects which each =
>
>manifests by virtue of its metallurgical composition.&nbsp; I cut the =
>plates=20
>with very strong acid in order that they would comply with one another, =
>like a=20
>puzzle.&nbsp; But I am a little worried at the response - is oxidising =
>of colour=20
><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial size=3D3><EM>bad</EM></FONT> for the =
>print as a=20
> [...]
        M I C H A E L   M O R I N                  M.F.A., M.L.S.
    Director Celtic Press                Instructional Media Librarian
      Buffalo  New York                   D'Youville College Library
                              ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       Member Buffalo Free-Net Executive Board of Directors