Re: philosophy of bookbinding

Derek,
  We had another thread about this going several months back, should be
in the archives. Only to add my 2c that yes, some books, bookworks,
artists books may look like sculpture. I agree that in some cases they
remain purely sculpture and shouldn't be considered a book. However, some
must be "read", manipulated, are inherently sequential, and visually,
textually or concepturally narrative, and do indeed have literal or
metaphorical references to traditional book structure (reaching back to
the earliest days of bookmaking). In the realm of artists books,
some of these, I believe, are among the most intriguing and engaging.
These days in the art world all categories are cross-pollinating and
there's no end in sight.

Janet

> Dorothy;
>
> You've hit a nail on the head here....  Your statements here neatly show
> the difference between a book and a piece of sculpture that is meant to be
> viewed.  (The latter often miscalled an 'artists book'.)
>
> Derek L.

            Janet Maher, Loyola College, Fine Art, 410-617-5545
                (web) http://www.qis.net/~jmar/index.balto.html
                (email)  jmar@xxxxxxx