[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Elmers vs PVA - Loose guards

Ann, and the others who have asked about loose guards

A loose guard is simply a strip of (usually) Japanese paper the length of
the spine and about an inch wide. You fold it in half, but it around the
first and last section (one for each) and then sew as you usually would.
When you paste up the spine, it "joins" the endsheet to the first section
much as if you'd tipped it on, except it hinges freely, doesn't drag on the
that first leaf. Italso relieves a great deal of the stress associated with
tipped on ends. It's very common in rare book conservation. When the pase
is dry, you can slip a piece of card in underneath and trim it out with a
scalpel. If you don't you just have a stubb of Japanese paper.


At 12:50 PM 10/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>In your recent note on pasting up sewn bindings you mentioned something
>called "loose guard"--Could you tell me what that is (forgive my
>ignorance) and what size those pieces are that are wrapped around the
>first and last signatures?  I've done case bindings but have never run
>across this technique.  Is it described elsewhere also?  Your description
>was exceptionally clear, by the way: it's just my unfamiliarity with the
>materials that cloud my "vision."  Thanks for the help.
>Ann Alaia Woods AIMIA Artworks
>198 Walhalla Rd. Columbus, OH 43202-1442
>614/261-6268 voice 614/261-6456 FAX

                                >>> I loved working in the library. <<<
>>There was something to be said for working in a place bound in leather.<<

Peter D. Verheyen
<wk> 315.457.5070 ext. 203

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]