[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
FS: New Adventures of Tarzan Pop-Up (1935)
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: FS: New Adventures of Tarzan Pop-Up (1935)
- From: "Trevor at J. Whirler" <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 21:49:01 -0800
- Message-id: <199811070559.VAA23450@palimpsest.stanford.edu>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[#3000] Burroughs, Edgar Rice: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF TARZAN "POP-UP".=20
Chicago: Pleasure Books, Inc, 1935. 1st ed. Boards, Square 12mo,  pp.=
(Slesinger, Stephen illust.) Very Good: owner signature front cover,
interior Near Fine. A Blue Ribbon Press Book, out of print. Blue Ribbon
Press, founded in the 1930s, found success in combining movable
illustrations with popular characters. It was Blue Ribbon that coined the
term "Pop-Up." This book was chosen as one of the one hundred best pop-up
books ever published by Albert Tillman, and is featured on the cover of
his book "Pop-Up! Pop-Up!" Tarzan's adventures in Guatemala with Ula Vale
(no Jane here) are enhanced with Slesinger illustrations and three
full-spread pop-ups: "The Ape-man swings through the trees," "Tarzan
attacks the Crocodile" and "Tarzan and Ula." The pop-ups are not simple
fanfold type, but elegant mechanisms: Tarzan twists as he strides the
crocodile, which in turn snaps its jaws shut; the sail of Tarzan and Ula's
boat turns to a right angle to the page, giving the scene a dimensionality
that compliments the two-sided printing throughout. Complex paper models
that show what could be achieved with clever engineering even in 'early'
pop-up books. Scarce in any condition, this copy is evaluated as Very Good
rather than Near Fine only due to the ink on the front cover, very light
shelf wear and small tears near the staple binding (which do not effect
the pop-ups). A handsome addition to any pop-up collection, never
J. Whirler Used and Rare Children's books specializes in pop-up and
movable books. Please see our Web page (URL below) for hundreds more, as
well as links to pop-up exhibitions, reference works, origami, paper
models, paper engineering and much more. Want lists welcome, and if you
are a book artist please send us your catalogue!
=A9 1998 Trevor Blake
Terms of Sale:
- No credit cards accepted.
- Postage paid in North America. $50+ orders also insured.
- Shipping & insurance billed separately outside of North America.
- Reciprocal dealer discount up to 20%.
- Libraries and institutions accommodated.
- Checks / MO in US currency to "Trevor Blake" only, please.
- Two week hold with order.
- Two week return in as-shipped condition.
Trevor Blake http://www.jwhirler.com/
J. Whirler Used and Rare Children's Books
P. O. Box 2321 Portland OR 97208-2321 USA