Re: Typocrafters report, anyone?

>Brian Stover asked about the Typocrafters get-together this past weekend
>in Bloomington, Indiana.

Was it better than 1997 in Iowa? Dunno, I wasn't in Iowa. I will say this:
the 40 or so attendees (most of them strangers to me) made up as sympatisch
a group as I've experienced in a weekend.

Jim Reidhaar and co-host Paul Brown did a terrific job of assembling
look-see's and hands-on activities.

Paul showed about 20 items from the Lilly Library's Poole Collection on
Type History, from a 9th-century Carolingian manuscript through Fournier's
and Bodoni's typographic manuals to Guerin's Centaur and Morris' Story of
the Glittering Plain. It's always amazing to see Aldine-period typography
and printing that looks as readable as the best books today.

Library conservator Jim Canary showed a fantastic assortment of fine
bindings, including bindings of the Barry Moser Moby-Dick interpreted by
several famous bookbinders. This is not an area I know much about, but one
in particular struck me as extraordinarily beautiful: the binder "pinched
up" wet white leather to create a whale across both covers and the spine; a
fin became Ahab's nose, and several layers of darker leather were cut in
for his eyes and mouth. I'm sorry I don't know the binder's name.

Every item in the Lilly Library is accessible in its Reading Room; anyone
who travels I-70 across Indiana *must* drop south to Bloomington to see
some of the wonderful things in the library.

BJ Irvine presented a motley collection of her livres d'artistes (some
exquisite), and hands-on sessions in the afternoon on Saturday included
pop-up book making (the participants produced outstanding examples) and
printing from wood type on Vandercook presses.

The keepsakes were varied and very, very nice, as always.

Next year's meeting will be held--we don't know where. Montreal, Tuscaloosa
(Alabama), Kansas, and Ohio were mentioned.

Sorry you couldn't be with us, Brian. You would have loved it.

Dan Franklin
Village Typographers, Inc.