Parchment back decoration

(Apologies for crossposting.....)

Hi all,

Since many years I ask my self this question: how did they do it ?

On 17th and 18th century full parchment bindings you can often see a kind of
decoration on the spine (head and tail). I made a drawing to explain what I mean here.
Please feel free to have a look at http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/perkdeco.htm which
makes my question perhaps a bit more understandable.

I cant figure out how and with what they made these imprints. It looks as if some kind
of screen (metal wire ?) is used. Or did they use a kind of fillet or pallet, stamped in
the lines and tied it up afterwards with rope ?
Any ideas are welcome. Please respond to the list so we can share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Cor Knops.