From:   Jack C. Thompson [SMTP:tcl@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Thursday, 12 November 1998 18:33
To:     BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        Re: Dream Course/girdle books

Girdle books were not only worn by women; in those days men and women wore
books tucked under their belts, and I have taught people how to make them
during the Technology of the Medieval Book workshops in Idaho.

They are not difficult to produce, but the leather knot which goes under
the belt can be a little tricky to do the first time through.

Jack

>Date:    Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:00:40 -0500
>From:    Lilias <dherlihy@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Dream Course
>
>Dear Paul:  If Pam Spitmuller reads this list, or if someone knows her email
>address, she may be contacted about the medieval book - she taught a
>unique workshop on the structure of a medieval book type which women often
>wore on a belt . Unfortunately I did not make that class which was held at
>the Paper & Book Intensive last year in California

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217