Re: city names

There's Cairo, Ill.  pronounced CA-row

and a very small town south of here called
 Leipsig but pronouced Lip-sig.

Wisconsin also has Oxford, Palmyra, Rome, Canton (and of course Canton,
Ohio), & Windsor. Probably more if I checked the map closely.  I suspect
that you could look at any list of US cities & towns  and find lots of
these.  Of course, some of them might be named after towns further East
rather than their foreign namesakes.

All over the US are towns called New [this or that] named after Old World
cities.

Mark W. Arend
Beaver Dam Community Library
311 N. Spring St.                      Outside of a dog, a book is
Beaver Dam, Wisc. 53916                    man's best friend.  Inside of
(920) 887-4631  (fax 887-4633)             a dog it's too dark to read.
                                                             --Groucho Marx
www.centuryinter.net/bdlib/
Scoutmaster, Troop 736

mailto:arend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx