Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 11 Nov 1998 to 12 Nov 1998

Marcia,
In his book, "BOOKS, BOXES AND PORTFOLIOS; Binding, Construction, and
Design--Step by Step" Franz Zeier suggests using "paste" for gluing
light weight paper. His recipe for "paste" is: "Mix 4 tablespoons of
wheat starch with about 1/2 cup of cold water. Stir until all lumps
dissolve. Continue stirring vigorously and add about 2 cups of boiling
water to form a thick mixture. While this is cooling, cover it with wet
newspaper. The paste should look neither milky nor glassy. You can add a
drop of Thymol (which comes in crystals that must be dissolved in
alcohol) or refrigerate the paste keep it from turning sour. The mixture
must be completely cooled before it can be used. Occasionally lumps will
form in spite of careful handling. In this case strain the paste through
cheesecloth into another container....A major advantage of working with
paste is that stains can usually be removed easily with clean water.
Sheets mounted with paste can generally be removed without damage."
Apply the paste with a brush, working from the center outwards. He has
other suggestions for heavier weight paper, which I will pass on if you
need them. They involve mixtures of paste and PVA.
Hope this helps.
Cheryl