Microwave paste.

A few things about the recipe. First off it has been circulated numerous
times and I first saw it about 10 years ago, so credit Gaylord in
moderation...

Secondly, the paste is better if the starch is allowed to soak in the water
for at least an hour. It'll still work if you don't though. Just "feels"
better if you do.

The take out and stir is VERY important. If you leave it in for the full
duration (and remember microwave intensities vary so what's high on one
might be low on another) it will boil over explosively and this stuff is
like Napalm. It sticks and keeps on burning. I usually watch it with my
finger on the clear button.

I then let it cool and submerge in water which helps preserve it a little.
Strain just before using and thin at that time as well. If you thin after
making the paste will get runny sooner.

The method I first learned in Germany is the one in the Zeier book, Jan
Sobota uses it as well and I still use it. The best way however is to use a
nice (expensive) precipitated wheat starch (Zin Shofu), and cook in either a
paste cooker/sauce maker, or the old fashioned way with a wisk over a stove,
continuing to stir as it cools. You can use any starch but effects will
vary. Tony Cains didn't like the rice starch paste at GBW Standards, I used
potato starch once and ended up with a ball that bounced (Zeier method)
which was neat. Flour works as well.

Peter

Peter D. Verheyen
Archival Product Development Manager / Conservator
Gaylord Brothers
Box 4901
Syracuse, NY 13221
315.457.5070, ext.203