Re: preparing cloth

A nice idea which I believe comes from Gary Frost is to apply PVA through a
piece of fiberglas window screen onto the board (use a paint roller with a
short nap for speed of application), remove the fiberglas to reveal small
beads of adhesive, and then apply the cloth/paper.  This uses only a small
amount of PVA, but it is more than enough to get the job done.

Wash the fiberglas window screen and it will last for many years in the studio.

Jack

>Date:    Sat, 14 Nov 1998 20:58:08 -0400
>From:    Chris Palmer <cpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>I'm going to try lining some cloth to cover books with. What is the best
>>way to do that?
>
>The main point is: never apply glue to the cloth. Apply glue to the tissue
>paper, apply glue to cardboard, but never apply glue to cloth.
>
>I don't line the cloth. I used to years ago but not any more.
>
> I use PVA (white glue) and brush it onto the cardboard boards. Wait a
>moment for the glue to get tacky and surface water to dry off, then position
>the boards onto the cloth and make a case binding. You must be very, very
>neat, any glue that gets on the outside will mark and is very difficult to
>get off. When you are turning over the edges, again you glue the cardboard,
>never the cloth.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick