[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]


In her posting of Nov. 12, Marcia Buch asked what kind of adhesive she
should use to glue small strips of paper onto paper for an edition of small
books she was binding. She apparently had reservations about using paste
because she didn't want any bubbles or buckling.

Because the moisture in the paste causes the paper to stretch, there will
be warping unless the work is dried under weight; bubbles are caused by
trapped air.

The important thing to remember when using paste is to smooth the pasted
piece down well with the hand or bone folder (over waxed paper) to get rid
of trapped air, place newsprint or blotter paper over and under the work,
rubbing to absorb excess moisture. Replace the damp paper with dry, cover
with Reemay, if you have it,and let the work dry under weight.

I haven't had Reemay until very recently, so I change the newsprint until
it ceases to be wavy with moisture. Don't forget to separate the pasted
work from the rest of the book with waxed paper.

I hope this is of some help; every binder has his own tricks and should do
whatever works for him.

YES glue contains less moisture so it doesn't cause warpage. However, it
can't be considered archival because it can't be easily reversed with
water. Go ahead and use it if that doesn't matter to you.
Betty Storz   storz@xxxxxxx

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]