BR 30 & Type

         Reply to:   BR 30 & Type
Terry Kuny wrote:

>Can anyone:
>
>1. Supply a reference for BR's list.
>
>2. Provide the list.
>
>Terry

---------------------
If someone has this their fingertips, wonderful, I just perused it =
in BR's "Paragraphs on Printing" I believe. I'll try post it tomorrow.

>Subject: Re: a question about type
>
>There's nothing whatsoever wrong with computer generated type IF (and it'=
s a big
>if) you know what you're doing.  To educate your eye, look at lots of =
good,
>traditional typography, and read.  Stanley Morrison, Eric Gill, Bruce =
Rogers,
>Robert Bringhurst are some of the people I assign to letterpress students,=
 also
>Sebastian Carter.  The computer won't design for you (or it will, but =
badly).
>But if you know type, you can make it do your bidding and no one will =
sneer
>because you did it on the computer.  Good luck, Audrey Niffenegger
>
>Laurie O'Brien wrote:
>
>> I am a poet/writer and self-taught bookmaker. Do any of you have =
thoughts
>> about computer type being acceptable or not in handmade books? I am =
working
>> with what I think are some lovely fonts on good cotton paper and =
binding with
>> handmade papers. Just wondering how this might be seen viv a vis =
letterpress.

>> I've been reading this list for several weeks. It's a goldmine to me of
>> interesting questions and problems.
>>
>> Laurie O'Brien
>> Univ of West Florida
>> English Dept.
>> Pensacola,FL

-----------------------------

With regard to digital  type having "nothing whatsoever wrong with" (it)
provided "you know what you're doing."

Sadly this is not the case.

Yes, an attention too, and knowledge of, typographic niceties and =
history will aid the apprentice typographer in achieving work
which is informed by a tradition of taste, harmony, etc. etc.

But,
Hot metal and digital type are two completely different technologies.
The later, when attempting to replicate designs executed by way of
the physical realities of the former, tends to fail at an accurate
representation of those classic designs. Mind you, if the type design
is the product of the digital era, then this argument is rendered null.

The reality is, digital type *technology* prevents (it) from a faithful
rendering of the work of the artist's hand. If you could only do a side
by side comparison of digital and hot metal Palatino, then you would see
the degree to which modern technology has homogenized Zapf's hand
(OK, Rosenberger's) out of his most famous design. On a most fundamental =
level, the figure 1's are completely different drawings. =

So, yes, read, look and learn, but never forget that digital type tends to =
suck.

Best in lead, tin and antimony,
Michael Babcock
interrobang letterpress