Re: Fan-binding

You can do a perfect fan binding using a upside turn finishing press f.e.
What matters is, that the sheets are square and straight before clamped,
one should allow enough movement, therefore to have a nice opening fan,
I use Planatol BB for Fan Binding, undiluted and have supirior results with
it.
(And Boy - do some of my clients abuse their books.)
Apply the glu from from both side, opening the fan left/right.
Tighten the Fan with your fingers,to strike the air out and to compress the
textblock again, usually I would apply the musseline here and a second layer
of BB on the flat spine.
Take the Book out from the clamp, place with the glued edge exactly on a
wastesheet which should rest on a press borad slightly larger than the book,
apply a waste sheet on top, another pressboard and but the whole package
under firm pressure. (can be don with 4 G Clamps, one in each corner.)
You should have a solid , square, tight textblock as a result.
If you need to round it, moisten the spine a bit (if you used BB), and round
without much force.
Forwarding and finishing in the usual manner.
The machine I use for perfect fan binding is a Planatol  Planax, NOT that
blue one for a lot of cash who likes to break at the joints, it is a solid
green one, Mod. No. 785, top heavy and one of the first Models of a Planax
build.
Serves me well anmd allows to bind about 60 books an hour, 8.5 x 11 x 2".
And it is totally manual. But as I sad, I have also used finishing presses
or wooden Presses when the shear size recommended it. And it works.

charles mohr