Fan-binding

>>   Anyone -
        I've done fan binding on theses and dissertations for three or =
four years,
but there's a persistent problem. ...<<

I have been fan-binding for some years now and find the proper alignment =
requires two things: 1) the textblock must be properly aligned when glued =
and 2) the texblock must be properly blocked when drying.  A textblock =
that is improperly aligned when glued cannot be jogged into proper =
alignment regardless of  the glue used.  I use the TeMPeR Fan-gluing press =
to align the textblock for gluing (I must admit a bias: I designed, =
manufacture and sell the TeMPeR Fan-gluing press).  I fan-glue the =
textblock with the endsheets in place and immediately consolidate the =
spine by pinching it tight while applying the super.  Having a glue =
machine, I glue-up one side of the super before applying it to the =
textblock.  This allows me to tack the super down onto the endsheets after =
I have tightened the spine.  Before I owned a glue machine, as I fan-glued =
 I would simply overglue onto the endsheets about one inch.  The unglued =
super would then  tack down onto the glued area of the endsheets.

Once the textblock is glued and lined, I remove it from the aligning press =
and simply stack it with other glued textblocks.  I build the stack =
alternately with one textblock spine to the right and the next to the =
left.  Each textblock is placed with the spine slightly overhanging the =
textblock below (or board below  if it is the bottom of the stack)  with =
caution taken to ensure that the spine is not skewed in anyway.  I dry =
large and heavy textblocks spine down on a slightly inclined shelf with a =
right angle support at one end.  The slight incline allows the textblock =
to nestle against the right angled support while I place a supporting =
board on the other side.   Other textblocks are added to the shelf with a =
board separating each textblock.  Occasional spacers are placed near the =
top side (the textblock's foredge) of the accumulated books to ensure that =
each textblock remains perpendicular to the shelf.   I should note that I =
coat my drying shelf with a thin layer of paraffin to prevent any glue =
that has seeped through the super from adhering to the shelf.

I do not press the textblocks after then have been glued. Nor have I have =
seen this practice at several commercial library binderies I have visited. =
 If the textblock is properly glued and consolidated (manually compressed =
and lined) it should require no further pressing.  Further pressing is an =
unnecessary effort and probably aggravates  proper blocking of the =
textblock as it dries.

I hope this helps.

Pete Jermann
Preservation Officer/Bookbinder