Re: saving staple signature bindings

Eric,
having worked in Germany and research library's here with large numbers of
these I guess I've developed some pretty good experiences.

Clean the spines carefully. Usually the textblocks are quite sound and
there is no reason to pull. I usually scrapped them in a dry state and
then applied my linings using straight PVA. In Germany we used hide glue
on the spines. Either worked. What you don't want to do is add more
moisture than you need to. Then proceed as you normally would. On the few
that I found with deteriorated textblocks and lots of rust, they were
pulled, mended and sewn. A lot more work. If cost is an issue, and
bibliographic integrity isn't you could always chop and fan glue, but in
most cases that shouldn't be neccesary.

I've found leaving them in place works out well. The other factor of
course is paper quality. If the paper is also brittle, which it can often
be, maybe reformatting should be considered. On the whole though they
function great, certainly better than that oversewing mess, especially
when the paper gets marginal.

Main thing though, watch your hands when you scrape the spine. The first
time I encountered that type of binding I ripped up my skin. Needless to
say I got a tetanus booster promptly.

Peter

Peter Verheyen, Listowner: Book_Arts-L
mailto:pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx