staple signature bindings

>Staples (through the fold)  are a very "germanic" binding structure and
>can be found in Scandanavian, Eastern European, Austrian ... books.

Are the signatures stapled to slips or some sort of backing?

                    Malcolm T. Upton
 8901 Normandale #1004  Ft. Worth, TX 76116
        817/560-2316  malcolm@xxxxxxxxxx
                   http://www.uptons.net/
"Once we thought if we sat a million monkeys down at a million typewriters
we'd get the works of Shakespeare. Now that we have the Web, we know this
isn't true." --anonymous