Re: Brass Plaque

   > A customer recently brought a brass plaque that she wanted mounted on the
   > inside back cover of an altar missal.  The customer had seen such plaques
   > adhered to altar bibles and missals with short brads.  Since the missal
   > is a large book, the boards are thicker than usual.
   >
   > I suggested a trophy business might be helpful and thought I would ask
   > the list.
   >
   > Does anyone have experience with a situation like this?  If so, where do
   > you acquire the brads?
   >
   > Thanks
   >
   > Artemis

Some years ago I washed and rebound a 1611 Bible with leather covered oak boards and brass fittings.  Some of the "brads" were missing.  Having taken the remainder of the original brads out they were obviously just slivers of brass cut from thin sheet.

I suggest you try to find a source of a piece of scrap brass sheet, e.g. scrap metal merchant or non-ferrous metal merchant may have offcuts, but this will be expensive.   A possible alternative are brass panel pins of the right thickness, but make sure they are brass and not coloured brass!

Another source for such a small quantity could be a mains electrical plug which has brass parts.  I think also the flat spade connectors found in modern cars for making connections are often brass.

Unfortunately brass is generally fairly soft and it may be necessary to start a hole in the board to avoid bending them.  Certainly the ones I removed from the oak boards were bent - which is not surprising.

Rodney Fry
Berkshire
England
<rod.fry@xxxxxxxx>