[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Two-needle Coptic Sewing
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: Two-needle Coptic Sewing
- From: Roberta Lavadour <paper@OREGONTRAIL.NET>
- Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:57:01 -0800
- Message-Id: <199902171808.KAA20388@palimpsest.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
I have been trying to get a handle on the term Coptic as I prepare materials
for a small how-to book. This may open a can of worms, but I'm curious to
hear from others.
I was taught to consider a coptic binding one that has an even number of
sewing stations and a separate needle for each station. How does the two
needle sewing work? Was it used by the Copts in Egypt and Ethiopia, or is it
a contemporary modification?